Lemon-Dill Slow Cooker Tofu is the ultimate summery main dish or sandwich filling. There’s no need to turn on the stove and heat up the kitchen to make this brightly flavored tofu. Simply assemble all the ingredients in the slow cooker and let it go all day. Come dinner time, it’ll be ready for a delicious feast.
I’m so excited for the end of kindergarten. I am looking forward to all the fun stuff I’ll get to do with Clarissa and Veronica this summer. I just can’t wait for slow mornings with breakfast on the deck. For walks to the library. For road trips, baseball games, and running through the sprinkler. For no schedules, no rushing, no homework. For outdoor movies, hikes, and ice cream for supper.
But I’m already over the heat. It’s only Friday of Memorial Day weekend, and I’m done with my house being 80 degrees and with being sweaty all the time. I’m done with the dread of turning on the oven or the extra heat that comes from firing up the stove. I’m done with the guilt of running the air conditioning in May, because my house is poorly insulated and doesn’t have window screens. Can’t I live somewhere that has high temperatures in the 60s all summer long?
I’ll be relying on my slow cooker a whole lot this summer. It’ll let me prepare a healthy supper while the girls and I go to the ice rink or the museum or the library to hide from the heat. It’ll also let me make a hearty meal without making the kitchen hotter than it already is–especially on dry days when I can put the slow cooker out on the deck while it’s turned on. Since I’ve got two good-sized dill plants growing in the garden, you can bet that Lemon-Dill Slow Cooker Tofu will make frequent appearances on our summertime dinner table.
- 2 lemons
- 2-4 blocks firm or extra-firm tofu
- 4 medium cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
- 1 medium sized shallot, finely diced
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 cup dry or semi-dry white wine
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp minced, fresh dill weed (or 1 tbsp dried)
- 1 tbsp spicy brown or whole grain mustard
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1. Slice one lemon. Layer half the slices on the bottom of the slow cooker.
- 2. Drain the tofu and cut into 1/2 or 3/4 inch thick slices. Layer them over the lemon slices.
- 3. Add the garlic, shallot, and thyme to the slow cooker.
- 4. Zest and juice the remaining lemon. Add to a medium sized mixing bowl, along with the remaining ingredients. Whisk to combine.
- 5. Pour the mixture over the tofu. Then layer the remaining lemon slices over the tofu.
- 6. Cook on high 6-8 hours. Serve as a main dish or on a sandwich.