I am a gal with a sweet tooth. I gravitate toward the sweetest options available. Until this pregnancy, that is. Now I want all the salty snacks I can get my hands on. I eat vegan chips and queso more than I care to admit. Fries? Tater tots? Yes, and yes, please. Tofurky sandwiches and potato chips and pretzels and Tofu Pups. I want them all. Meanwhile, I can ignore a plate of cookies like it’s nobody’s business.
Naturally, when I got the idea for Cheezy Chex Mix last weekend, I couldn’t stop thinking about it, until I was diving into a bowlful. And really, how have I been vegan for a decade, and I just got the idea to add nutritional yeast to Chex mix? Nooch makes everything tastier. It seems so obvious to me, now. This snack did not disappoint. In fact, it was such a hit with my family, it’s hard to believe we have any left.
As we go into another weekend of baseball playoffs and football games and all manner of busy family activities, you should probably make sure you have some Cheezy Chex Mix on hand for snacking. I’ll most definitely be making more for my family’s upcoming, and very long, drive to Wisconsin.
- 1/2 cup vegan butter, melted
- 2 tbsp Braggs liquid aminos
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 1/2 tsp celery salt
- 1 tsp dried mustard
- 3/4 tsp garlic powder
- 3/4 tsp onion powder
- 1 cup mixed nuts
- 1 cup small pretzels
- 5-6 ounces melba toasts, rye crisps, or bagel chips
- 6 cups each-rice, corn, and wheat Chex cereal
- 1. Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
- 2. In a very large mixing bowl, stir together the butter, Braggs, and seasonings.
- 3. Add the nuts and pretzels. Toss to coat.
- 4. Add the melba toasts and Chex. Gently toss to coat all the ingredients evenly.
- 5. Spread the mixture on two baking sheets.
- 6. Bake for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes.
- 7. Cool and serve. Store leftovers in an airtight container.