Having guests for Easter? Planning on evening cocktails on the patio, now that the weather is starting to warm a bit? Want to make supper extra special, by serving a delicious appetizer? I’ve got you covered with these Leek and Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms.
These look fussy, but they really aren’t. I garnished them with fried sage leaves. These little bites are delicious, because the nuts bring out the nuttiness of the mushrooms, while the leeks sweeten the filling. They aren’t heavy, but they are substantial. One or two per person are sure to satisfy.
- 1 pound stuffing mushrooms
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 vegan, Italian sausage link (like Tofurky)
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced leeks (very well washed and drained)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped nuts (I used pecans, walnuts, and cashews)
- 2 tbsp vegan cream cheese
- 1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- 2. Clean the mushrooms. Remove the stems and set aside. Place the mushrooms, top-side-down on the baking sheet.
- 3. Warm 2 tablespoons of oil in a 10 inch skillet, over medium heat. Add the sausage to the pan.
- 4. Use a wooden spoon to break up the sausage. Saute until the pieces are browned, about 8 minutes. Transfer to a medium sized mixing bowl.
- 5. Add another tablespoon of oil to the pan and return to the heat. Add the leeks and a pinch of salt. Saute until the leeks are softened and browned, about 5 minutes. Transfer to the mixing bowl.
- 6. While the sausage and leeks are cooking, chop the mushroom stems into a fine dice (should yield about 1/2 a cup).
- 7. Add the remaining oil, the chopped mushrooms, and a pinch of salt to the pan and return to the stove. Increase to medium-high heat. Saute until the mushrooms have released their liquid and browned. Transfer to the mixing bowl.
- 8. Add the nuts and cream cheese to the sausage, leeks, and mushrooms. Stir until all the ingredients are well combined.
- 9. Divide the filling evenly among the mushroom caps.
- 10. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the mushroom caps have begun to brown and the top of the filling is golden.
- 11. Serve hot or warm.