My mom, my sister Cathy, and I love shortbread cookies. This recipe is a snap to make and the cookies are delish. The recipe is my vegan version of the shortbread recipe in the Southern Living Big Book of Christmas Baking.
Simple Shortbread Cookies
- 3/4 cup room temperature vegan butter (like Earth Balance)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp plain or vanilla non-dairy yogurt
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- 2. Cream the margarine and sugar, using an electric mixer.
- 3. Add in the yogurt and vanilla and beat well.
- 4. Add the flour, mix until completely combined and the dough has formed into a ball.
- 5. Shape the dough into 1 inch balls and place 1 inch apart on a parchment lined cookie sheet.
- 6. Flatten the balls slightly, using a fork, spoon, or bottom of a glass.
- 7. Bake 14-16 minutes, until the bottoms of the cookies are lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack. Store completely cooled cookies in an airtight container for up to a week or in the freezer for up to 3 months.